Monday, 15 June 2009

Honduras Diaries, July 16th

Today we had to get up at 5:00 again. I had breakfast in the restaurant. It was pancakes and orange juice.

Then we got on an old school bus and drove for about an hour to a place called Buenos Aires. It was very hot on the bus and everyone was jealous that I had cold water in my Platypus. The 4x4s were waiting for us before we got there. They were very fun, and the journey up the hill lasted about 2 hours, and was very bumpy so we stood up and held onto the bars.

When we got to Base Camp, it was very sunny but not too hot, and there was a lot more people than I thought there would be. Our tents were already set up for us on raised wooden platforms. I was in tent 13 with Ollie and Omar. After we had settled down and got our stuff in the tents, we had the most boring introduction talk ever. It was so boring I was falling asleep so I put my sunglasses on so he couldn’t see me. Turns out that everyone else did the same. After that we had a slightly less boring Health and Safety talk, which basically said: ‘Don’t touch it if it can bite’.

We then had our first meal in camp at about 1:00. It was rice, noodles and potato soup, which was actually nice despite looking like sick.

At about 2:00, we had to choose what we wanted to do for the rest of the afternoon, and we had a choice of cleaning out old animal traps or collecting samples for the DNA labs. I chose the DNA labs.

We went into the jungle around Base Camp, and collected different types of fern plants. We had an American woman as our guide. After about an hour of slow walking, we had all the samples and we went back to the DNA lab hut. We had to squash the leaves onto some card to get the DNA out. All we did was hit it with a hammer.

After that the Tuck shop opened. I got a Snickers/Nougatcity/Peanutopolis (There was three different names for a Snickers). I also pre-ordered some locally made coffee beans to support the people protecting the rainforest. I will get those later.

For the next few hours we just sat around near the benches and played cards until more food was ready. It was spaghetti bolognaise without any bolognaise and some really horrible and tasteless pita bread.

We have also been annoying Omar by shouting ‘Oh Mum!’ at him.

It is really strange when it gets dark here. There is so much noise, and I don’t think that I have ever seen more stars. My camera can’t see them though, so that sucks. I have found out that Base Camp is about 2400 meters above sea level, which is higher than any part of Britain. (This also beats my 1890 meters from the Unishen Hut in Switzerland.)

Don’t know when the canopy access is being done, but I’m looking forward to it.

No comments: