Tuesday, 23 June 2009

Honduras Diaries, July 24th.

Today we did the first bit of diving. First we had to watch some videos that basically copied my PADI book word for word. I had to watch sections 1, 2 and 3. They were about 45 minutes long each, and by number 3 I was basically falling asleep. When they had finished we had to answer some questions about each chapter in our books. After we had done that, we got our wetsuits on. We walked down to the saltwater confined pool like penguins and then get the rest of our equipment on. After about 2 hours of diving with our stuff on, we took it off and did some other tests. These were just floating in the water for 10 minutes and then swimming 200m in the pool. I failed the first 200m swim because I held on to the side to pull a big piece of grass or a hair dreadlock out of my eye. I did it again and passed.

After that, we got changed and I found out that the restaurant sold Sprite and Lilt for $1 dollar or 18 Lempira. I went back to my room to get some money only not to find it. Great. So after about half an hour of looking for a plastic wallet with $90 in it, I guessed that it must have fallen out of my pocket while on the 2 hour bus journey. Either that or on the short 4x4 journey from the pier to the hotel. Ollie bought me a Sprite.

When we asked the hotel owner about using the computer, she said the internet was free but the computer was 1 Lempira per minute. So we paid a dollar and got 18 minutes. Then the internet was sillily slow, and it took the best part of 18 minutes just to load the Gmail login page. It eventually worked and I had 18 emails. I sent an email home and logged off.

For the rest of the night, we basically sat around and did nothing. Everyone sat on the pier for a bit, then some people got pizzas delivered. I didn’t get one because I could only find $18.43 spare dollars. That sucked.

No comments: