Saturday, 1 August 2009

In Search Of The...

Remember all the way back to October 4th, 2008, when I discussed the dicovery and magic of Buckethead's 'In Search Of The' box set? Well... I got it from TDRS. 13 CDs of weird Buckethead nonsense, combined with strange noises, sillily fast guitar playing, some shreddy-riffs that don't really have a tune or rhythm to them at all and some things that sound like a guitar sneezing. But after you get used to these things, and once you get sucked in, it all kind of starts to make something comprehendible.
I picked them up from the Post Office today at about 11, and started listening to them about 2 when I got back home. So far I have got to Volume IV/E while I have been doing other things, and I can say that so far it has been very Population Override-ey, constantly reminding me of Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. It also seems to get lost in itself sometimes, and just descends into a basic drum loop or basic sounds played over again, but manages to not get too boring. Some tracks, however, do, and they are simply a sequence of 5 drum beats for about 3 minutes at a time. So far, the only other album I can compare it to is Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol. II. Because it's weird.
Once I have listened to each CD,I might write a big, multi-post review of the album, detailing my thoughts on each individual track. But I know that that is as likely to happen as a lot of other things I intend to do, and if I do write reviews up then it probably won't get posted until 2010.
I think that by owning this entire collection officially certifies me as a 'hardcore Buckethead fan', but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the merchandise for thine eyeballs to goosey...














<== All 13 volumes









<== The spines of each CD case, spelling out "INSEARCHOFTHE".

No comments: