Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Fotolia - An Elitist Platform.

Yesterday I signed up to a website called Foltolia after seeing it on the Gadget Show on Monday. It is basically an online image store, where people can upload their photos and sell them, and then gain about 50% of the money. That is, of course if your pictures are good enough. Mine weren't, supposedly. I uploaded one of my favourite pictures that I took in Honduras on the beach - It is of a hammock in a tree, with the sea behind it. An excellent picture, if I do say so myself.
I then had to wait for approval. That was fine. I then got an email saying that my picture had been rejected because of 'one or more of' the following problems:
  • Blurry or out of focus
  • Over/Under exposure
  • Framing problem
  • Over or under saturated colors
  • Problems with contrast
  • Noise or Pixelation
  • Quality of routing
  • Interpolation problem
Now, I'm going to go through that list to check off what I have:
Not blurry or out of focus.
Not under/over exposed.
As far as I can see, no framing problem.
Over/under saturated colours, none.
Contrast is fine.
Noise? No.
Not sure what 'quality of routing' is, but I bet I have a very high quality.
Interpolation? Nothing has been added, if that's what it means.

I then tried to upload another of my favourite pictures, taken of Derwentwater in Keswick, in Autumn-ish time, the sun was low. Nice. They say it is too small, but it was taken on a 6 megapixel camera, and the minimum requirements are 4 megapixels. Joke.
So I decided that they obviously are too good for amateur photographers like me. They only want the elite, perfectionist photo-journalist willing to go into a zombie infested mall and write a scoop. (I didn't make that up.)
Here are the pictures I tried to upload...


The first image, rejected for the above reasons.
(Obviously, the watermark was not actually in the file I submitted, it's there to stop you stealing it, and not giving me a reason to sue yo' ass.)










The second image I tried to upload, failed because the image was 'too small'.












A third image I wanted to upload, but found that I couldn't because Canada Dry is a copyrighted trademark, and I would basically be advertising it.

Although, it is very nice.














So there you have it. My hopes and dreams smashed into a pile of unwanted binary and 'out-of-focus' pixels. Cast down by a load of snivelling little nerds, sat in Foltolia towers, rejecting real art in photography in case it puts them out of business.

PS, I've watermarked these images because I took them. If you want a copy of any of them, leave a comment and I'll consider it.
Just like my ISOT pictures.

1 comment:

lifeisafieldwork said...

I've also had my photos rejected, and I still can't figure out what "routing" is all about.

But to Fotolia's defence, I can see there's a "framing" problem with the hammock photo. It's like my eyes are trying to see the tree that isn't there. Where's the trunk, where's the hammock strapped to the tree, and where's the end of the branch. It could've been solved by walking back a few steps, zooming out, or taking a few steps to the right to have the tree frame the hammock more symmetrically on both sides, or by just bending the knees a bit, etc...

It's still a pretty good picture. But problably not suitable for the stock photography market.