Saturday, 15 May 2010

The Rejuvenation of Klaus II

Today, the building of the new Klaus has officially begun. General Klaus is one step closer to existence. I went to a little hardware shop where I could get individual sheets of sandpaper rather than a pack of 20 (which I won't need), and I got a few sheets of 120, 150, 180 and 220 Grit. They were 20p each.
So, this afternoon, I assaulted Klaus with a Black and Decker Mouse, armed with the 80 Grit pads I got from B&Q. It took more effort than I thought it would to get it off, especially the clear, hard shiny outside bit. Once the outer coat was off, the paint underneath just melted off.
So, here is Klaus after I attacked him with a sander:

Here he is again, but after I brushed off the main bulk of dust. I thought I'd put some of the stuff on to see what it looked like. I think it's smoo. The wood is a better colour than I thought it would be, and it is less pink (like salmon) and more wood coloured (like... wood).
Imagine how spiffing it would look with my leather pickguard...

^ Click to embiggen

There's still a few orange patches on it, and also the edges and most of the sides haven't been sanded properly yet, so from here it's going to be all by hand. The Mouse is back in the box, and it's time to bring out the wooden block and some sandpaper.

No comments: